Tuesday, January 18, 2005

**Why I love the law and hate attorneys**

Law is a beautiful thing. OK, maybe that is a bit generous. Let's qualify. The idea of law is a beautiful thing. The reality of law is a grand perversion and the subject of enormous abuse by politicians and lawyers. Today I will address the lawyers. How lawyers can take something as pristine as the idea of an agreed upons collection of rules by which a society is bound and exploit them for their own economic gain is beyond me. In any litigation I have seen personally, it is always the lawyer who wins. Notice that the parties involved risk everything. The lawyer's gain is guaranteed regardless of the outcome - even contingency lawyers only take on cases they know will pay their own way. In the end it is not about justice and fairness and equity. It is about argumentation and winning. It is inherently antagonistic. It sucks.

Is it possible to have law without lawyers? I don't know. I know that I love studying the law enough to go to law school. The idea of being any kind of lawyer that I have known, disturbs me. So I intend to practice law for the beauty of law itself, serving the higher calling of justice and equity. I have certainly read enough feminist and critical legal studies critiqes of Rawls to know that that the hypothetical man and notions of blind justice are wrought with problems.

The question of the day.... will going to law school make me a total jerk and sell-out?

No comments: