Monday, January 31, 2005

**On-Line dating**

I told my dearest friends and dinner companions about my dating plans. Yes, being true to the Internet I am using that as my medium for meeting people. I would just stand out in a bar. My dancing would only drudge up bad memories of Elaine Bennis from Seinfeld re-runs. So the Internet seems the way to go.

Pity the poor fool who interacts with me. He is liable to end up as a discussion item on my blog.

Still I am going to remain hopeful, pull out my credit card and see what happens. I looked into eHarmony (the link is not an endorsement.... yet). It took me months just to fill out the personality profile. That may in part have been influenced by a general sense of ambivalence and doing this. But I finished it one day while avoiding some task at hand. I submitted the profile and thus began the daily emails telling me to join and meet the love of my life. When that marketing technique didn’t work, I was sent a match. OK, that got me a little interested and motivated me to fill out some introductory information. But responding required that I join. I hesitated.

And then match two came a long.

Damn, they reeled me in.

I joined – after justifying this outrageous use of my son's college funds - by finding a "two months for the price of one" coupon on-line.

So I am starting the communication process with one and waiting to start with the other. They sound good on paper,

but then I probably do too.

This has the makings of a nerve wracking experience.

No comments: