Thursday, May 05, 2005

**The dark side of match.com: A skirt and high heels, please**

I mentioned earlier the guy that constituted my brief match.com "experience." We had arranged to meet for coffee tomorrow actually. But his emails just seemed a little off. Sometimes they seemed genuine, and then the next would be cryptic and hard to understand.

Well, It is interesting to see how, in spite of my profile where I was quite clear that I was a causal, informal, blue jeans kind of person, not likely, ever really, to be found in a dress or skirt and Dockers are dressing up for me, that a person can miss all that and reveal to me that he has a specific "need" to see woman dressed in skirts and high heels. Hey, I am pretty damn open-minded about all sorts of things. but one would think that I would not be the best candidate for that particular fantasy given my profile, eh?

We won't be meeting tomorrow for coffee, if that little missive didn't make it self-evident.

But all jesting aside, it symbolizes a pattern I have observed on these services (and it may be that everyone else knew this already), that many men looking for a relationship define their needs,initially, in terms like "soul mate," "partner," "person to share lives experiences with," etc., but that is not what they really want or at the very least, they think that one gets there with sex. I hate trying to get out there again. Why am I bothering? No one else seems interesting to me.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Gee, men want sex?

No!! Say it ain't so!

Someone on the cusp... said...

Noooo. I meant that they see not distinction between sex and intimacy. They want intimacy, but only understand as sex.

On the other hand, I read what I just wrote and I don't even make sense to myself anymore.