Thursday, April 26, 2007

**On the Road Again**

I am off visiting my daughter. I haven't come to see her at college since her freshman year. This weekend she is presenting her senior thesis at a three day symposium. All very impressive - full of words I can't pronounce. I am sitting at her desk in one of the college labs working on job reviews while she is off studying for an midterm. Her desk if full of accolades, student leadership awards, honor society invitations and very cool artwork by her friends. It is nice to finally see the place where she spends A LOT of time.

We listened to a guest speaker tonight talk about DNA analysis and evolutionary forensics. Very engaging speaker with - surprise, surprise - a new book out. After his talk, however, I might just read it. We had a nice chat afterwards about the intelligent design movement and a scathing review he did of a recent not-to-be-named-cause-he-teaches-at-my-son's-school-academic's tome on the subject. The review comes out in the July issue of Discover - I WILL be reading that. He also lambasted the media - rightfully so, but hey, get in line - for their polarizing, oversimplication of the creationist/evolution debate, simply ignoring the great variations of middle ground held by those who acknowledge some level of faith and yet still see the OVERWHELMING scientific evidence in support of evolution. I took a picture of E with him, just in case he gets as famous as Jane Goodall and I can add it to my E-with-famous-cool-people picture collection.

E and I enjoyed a nice dinner at my dear friends house and planned her college graduation open house. No to acobats, yes to finger food. No to slide show, yes to slip 'n slide. Yes to guest book, no to gifts. Now that is my kind of graduation party.

No comments: