Wednesday, September 21, 2005

**Whadda Day for News**

I have kept the television on in my office for much of the day (and I did not even catch the Daily Show!).

I watched Hurricane Rita tranform from a tropical storm to a Category 5 monster in what seemed like record time. And I monitored my nieces's blog as she and her friends prepared to evacuate from the Houston/Galveston area. More recently, I watched Jet Blue's Burbank/NYC flight perform an emergency landing at LAX after the front landing wheel was stuck at a ninety degree angle. The landing, live, thanks to LA area television affiliates, showed the AMAZINGLY skilled flight crew drop the back wheels to the tarmac, and then slow the airplane down BEFORE dropping the skewed front wheel. Contrary to what safely officials hoped, the wheel did not right itself on landing. It scraped along the runway, the wheel finally bursting into flames. But those darn pilots brought that plane to a stop without the wheel support system collapsing.
I will fly with those pilots ANYTIME. Now, whether I am going to be anxious flying on a A320 airbus, is another story. This is the second time that has happened on that model of plane. I guess it is better than a rudder breaking or a wing collapsing, or double engine failure....

2 comments:

Leann said...

I watched that plane land and was amazed at the flight crews ability to land that plane safely. I'm with you...I'd fly with them anytime!

I'm holding up well. I leave on Sunday and am actually ready... well except for a tow dolly for my car.... working on that one... looks like I'll hve to amke a trip to the valley this evneing and then back again...will be a long day!

Leann said...

Wow, just noticed all those typos....sorry..LOL