Tuesday, September 06, 2005

**Oregon voices**

Purusing the Oregonian, which I don't come across that often, I was struck by one letter to the editor today. A very succinct response to the Oregonian's front page picture on Sept. 2. It was an image of an deceased african american man lying in a lawn chair. This image generated a lot of "feedback" about the appropriateness of putting someone who had died on the front page. This woman's response was perfect in my mind:

She said:

I love the photo of the dead, elderly black gentleman lying in a lawn chair in New Orleans on the Sept. 2 cover of the Oregonian. It was arresting and shocking, but also a perfect representation of the broken social contract in this country. He survived the flood, but he couldn't survive the wait for help. No one should be offended by this any more than a christian would be offended by a painting of Jesus dead on the cross. Both of them represent man's inhumanity to man.

Simply and well put. Oregon. Nice state. At times.

1 comment:

Leann said...

While I did not see the Oregonian, I agree with what she had to say.