Thursday, September 22, 2005

**Did I Really Hear That?**

Let's just set the scene first:

I am watching ABC World News Tonight and on comes a story about the the Catholic church and gay priests. The reporter narrated a story that described the Vatican's and Pope Benedict XIV's pending deicsion to ban gay priests whether celibate or not.

But that is not what put me over the top and sent me "bee-lining" to the blog. One of those interviewed made a comparison between gay priests-around-little-male-parishoners to alcoholics being present with a key to the liquor cabinet.

When will the idea that one's sexual preference being a "disease" stop rearing its intolerant, ignorant, hateful, narrow-minded head?

Jesus! (and I don't mean that in the calling out for the "man" sense)

2 comments:

Leann said...

I agree that considering someone's sexual preferences, when they don't meet societies "norm", a disease is wrong.

However, that being said, I have to agree that if you put temptation before someone, no matter how "holy" they are, you are just asking for trouble.

Someone on the cusp... said...

I agree about the temptation, but don't believe that that temptation is any different for same sex than for opposite sex temptation. The same guidelines about protecting children should apply in both situations. For example, when I ran a church youth group some years back, we did not drive kids home unless another adult was in the car. This was policy regardless of whether I was driving a male or female home. There just seems to be a sense that homosexual attraction is somehow more insidious or uncontrollable. There is not evidence to support that. Only narrowmindedness and fear.