Saturday, April 30, 2005

**The 'WINK'**

I have been tinkering with Internet dating of one version or another for about 3 months. It has an interesting allure.

There is a weird voyeuristic "shopping" quality as you work through databases like Match.com. The sheer numbers make you develop interesting filtering strategies.

Even if the better side of yourself doesn't use physical characteristics as a key initial factor (I for one seem to go for the eyes) one never really considers a person who doesn't post a picture.

Then there is the tendency to not read beyond the first paragraph if your interest isn't captured. Match.com is the MTV of dating - short attention spans, quick reads, scan the pix, and then move on. The service is set up to feed into an impulsive, quick decision-making process. Users probably yield enough inquiries from prospective matches that that they keep re-upping their subscription.

I have been getting more "winks." Winks are the stupidest thing in the world, by the way, because all a wink means is that a person isn't willing to make an effort to actually send an email saying "hi" look at my profile and email me if you are interested.

I have this theory that some guys just whip through pictures and click the "wink" button with vigor going for absolute numbers in hopes of generating a response from a small percent.

More often than not I write back (cause I hate ignoring anyone, clicking on the "not interested" button is, to me, as obnoxious as a wink, although sometimes I do it). When I write back, typically I ask what they possibly think we might have in common (maybe framed a little more delicately).

One guy actually emailed me and asked me to look at his profile cause he thought we might be good match. I looked and this is a guy with a toddler, is politically conservative, likes playing golf... I am thinking,

"ARE YOU KIDDING?! Have some self control with that damn wink!"

No comments: