Tuesday, April 19, 2005

**Celebrity watch**

I can't help myself. I get very excited about the prospect of meeting famous people.

I remember in college having the opportunity to interview IN HIS CUSTOM TOUR BUS, Chris DeBurgh. Before you double over with laughter, this was BEFORE "Lady in Red," back when he wrote decent Irish ballads and had not sold-out to Top 40. I booked him as the opening act for America (who totally sucked at their attempt at a comeback). I also worked at the radio station and was tasked to interview Chris (yup, first name basis). Well, I sat down with my mic and my reel-to-reel deck along with my friend to do the interview and I just sat there gawking. Couldn't ask a single question. My friend did the interview and I just stared.

Barbara Walters I am not.

But I think people sense this about me, so when James Brooks (yes the director) brought his son this way to looks at prospective colleges, I was not informed ahead of time, even though he would likely be one of my students. The entire concern was compounded by the fact that Brooks (senior) is single. They probably made a good call here.

Another celeb of sorts has moved into the area. He only is likely to be familiar to nutso, risk-taking mountaineers and those of us who devour Outside magazine each month. This gentleman is a backcountry skier. Not a cross country skier, but someone who scales peaks, and then skis down them. We are talking 50 degree angles here. I happened to read about him and another extreme skiier in Outside magazine. Lo and behold, the very next day, I learn from a friend that he just moved to town, and the two of them, now neighbors are climbin Mt. Adams this weekend and telemarking down. Welcome to town Mark.

You are so out of my league.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Wait is this the guy that there was a feature story about, like last month who invented equipment to kite skiing from peak to peak in the Arctic or something. Plus he said something crazy like not caring if the things he invent causes people to do things that eventually get them killed.

Someone on the cusp... said...

Actually, the guy who moved here was his partner on the Wasatch Mountain Climb. He is mentioned toward the end of the article - Mark Holbrook, I think.