Thursday, April 21, 2005

**How to be ungrateful**

The saga of colleges continues. My son, bless his lucky heart, managed to get into his first choice college of engineering. To boot, he received a financial aid package that was unmatched by any other school, save my alma mater.

So his fav. college seems to be the choice. The only challenge: coming up with the "family contribution" that totals half my take home salary. His father will not help vountarily, even though the family contribution includes an estimate of his income.

So I have to come up with that too. Swine ex.

Part of my solution is to ask my son to work this summer to contribute to the cost of college.

Originally he was keen on being away for the summer and working for my brother. Good money, bad influence.

Now he has decided he misses his girlfriend and wants to stay in the local area for the summer.

Understandable and it looked possible... for a bit.

Then his one job option (the one employer who would give him a job sight unseen) fell through.

So unless he can rally his friends here to help find him a job, he likely will have to go east.

And for that he is apparently PISSED AT ME.

Now how is it that I, the one who is telling him that I will come up with the bulk of the college money, even if I have to sell my house (which is a REAL possibility) is the one he gets annoyed with. His father is doing squat.

THAT is how to be ungrateful.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Work for my Dad? Nuts! Nuts nuts nuts!

I would tell him to ask the parent he is living with for help on college. :) It costs to not go to a state school...

You should encourage him to apply for co-op at the end of his freshman year. They are very common among engineering students (I would say well over half, or more, do it). It takes an extra year to graduate, but you work in a fairly well-paid engineering job on your alternating terms, getting great experience and making money.