Monday, May 08, 2006

**Homestretch**

I am starting the second to last week of teaching. That means 8 more lectures. That means 12 more hours of class time. That also means I have to start thinking about final exams.

The last wave of resignations are coming in at work: an administrator who has earned the scorn of many because he is really good at his job of cutting expenses. And we all know that human resources (read: compensation) is one of the biggest expenses for a business. Even the education business. Another colleague resigned with the official explanation that he missed New Mexico. I totally understand that. I miss New Mexico and I haven't lived there.

Another dear friend resigned a couple months ago, without an official explanation. But she and her colleagues were like oil and vinegar. Now she will do the amazing things she does in Bozeman, Montana- currently ranked as one of the top five places in my list for retirement.

I will not be resigning this year. I am too tired to think about where to go.

My dear Las Vegas travel partner is now in Nigeria. He will come back to the States in a month to crate up the rest of his belongings and his car and return to his home for at least a year. He might pop in for a visit out this way on his last swoop to the States if time permits.

His last visit here was a couple years ago. He showed up in the middle of March with a convertible. Bad move on his part as it was drizzling constantly. Of course, I was so excited to ride in a Mustang convertible, I made him drive up and down the coast in the freezing rain. He kept pleading to raise the roof. I was not accomodating.

I am going to try and go over to his stomping grounds for awhile next summer. He has lots of room - he bought a 5 bedroom home in Abuja for less than the cost of my car.

I want to ride the Vomit Comet!

2 comments:

Leann said...

I'm not sure if that experience would be fun or not!! Definetly worth the experience tho.

Whoohooo to Nigeria. Where is that by the way? My geography sucks.....kinda....LOL

No, I did not ride the Vomit Comet.

Someone on the cusp... said...

Western Africa. I lived in East Africa about 25 years ago. Very different. Eastern Africa- of Born Free and Out of Africa fame- was colonized by the Brits. Western Africa has more of a French influence.