Monday, March 20, 2006

**Bears and me**

It is not mystery to people who know me, that I love the outdoors. I am a wilderness adventurer wannabe. High on my list is to watch Grizzly Man or any other film prominently featuring the wilderness. I always have wanted to wander around Alaska.

But those who know me also know that, in addition to my intense fear of plumbing (for which there is no other explanation than my older brother threatening to flush me down the toilet during my formative years), is my fear of bears. Come on! These mammals have no natural predator unless you count a sentient being with an automatic rifle (pistols only make bears cranky).

So this joke is particulary dear to me.

Two brothers are sleeping in a tent and they hear rustling outside. Shortly, the rustling turns to grunts and clanging of cookware and the such. They realize a bear is in the camp. The younger brother immediately gets out of his sleeping bag and starts putting on his running shoes. The older brother, say's with a voice riddled with fear, "Are you insane?! You can't out run a bear!" As his younger brother ties up his last shoe, he stands, looks at his camping partner and says calmly.... "I don't have to out run the bear.... I only have to outrun you."

2 comments:

Becca said...

That's a funny version of a similar geeky joke that I used to hear in high school: "If you and a halfling find yourself confronting a fire-breathing dragon, remember you need not outrun the dragon, only the halfing."

Leann said...

That was a great joke. Unlike you I love bears tho. I'll be the story where the person gets eaten by the bear because she tried to pet it.