Wednesday, July 20, 2005

**Company's coming**

Tonight, late, my niece is arriving for a three week visit. She is 14. 14 was a good year for me. It will be fun to see what she is like. I remember getting my horse at 14. I credit this rather moody mare with keeping me away from drugs, alcohol and gangs. Boys too, as I preferred her company to theirs and they got the message very quickly. With all deference to the fun I have with my globe-trotting traveling companion niece, this young teenager holds a special place in my heart as I was by my sister's side at her birth. I have memories of her mother holding up obscenely well through labor, possibly the result of numerous trial pain killers they administered (my sister had an immediate and highly focused interest in participating in any pain reducing drug trials as her labor progressed. I was envious). I remember my brother-in-law excusing himself several times during the final stages. I like to muse he was tossing his cookies outside the room. Anyway, I hold the honor of being the first family member to see her, even before her mum.

Two weeks into her visit the rest of the family joins us. We will have a household of 8-9 people with a futon, queen bed and two twin beds. Time to pull out the sleeping bags.

2 comments:

Leann said...

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time! 14 is generally a good year. Once 15 hits..watch out..LOL...

Becca said...

Hope you've already read H.P., because Carloine is on time 3, and she'll give away the whole plot!

As long as you tell her REPEATEDLY that I am your favorite niece, I'm ok with whatever you think in your heart. :)

I can't help that you were living at the ends of the Earth or in college or something when I was born!!