Sunday, July 10, 2005

**... and the rest of the story**

Ok, I have a script due TODAY and today ends in about 90 minutes. Still, I feel more obligated to follow through on my promise to finish this story, even though the proceeds from the video that will result from this script will go a long way toward paying my son's first semester of college.

So, picking up where I left off, A. and I walked around the Old Faithful Basin, getting reacquainted with each other and this place we have come to over the years. This first photo is of the Firehole River towards the lower end of the basin on the path to Morning Glory Pool. I just love watching the steamy spots all along the river.

The next morning we hiked more around the basin, spent quite a bit of time with the potter in residence whom we have come to know. He is the owner and creative force behind Fire Hole Pottery. His main studio is in Bozeman, MT, but he has spent the summers over the past 25 years plying his trade in front of eager tourists at the Old Faithful Lodge gift shop.

A. and I traded pieces, with me getting the banded souffle, pictured here, but in the red color that you can see in the teapot. Carl was kind enough to sign them with secret messages:). I should probably confess, that I have a lot of his work. We had dinner with him that evening at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, something that also is becoming somewhat of a tradition each time we go to Yellowstone.

The second morning (okay, early afternoon), we headed off to Lone Star Geyser. It is about a three mile hike along the Firehole River. We arrived about two hours before the next scheduled eruption, so we wandered along the river exploring some of the "off the beaten track" thermal features. We spend some time sitting on this bridge overlooking the river, munching on lunch, reveling in the effectiveness of our mosquito spray. We were here some years ago and the kids played around in the river for a while. Never remember the mosquitos so intense. On the other hand, the last time I was at Lone Star I was driven away from the river at a frantic run by a relentless swarm of deerflies who were undeterred by bug spray.


Below are some pictures of Lone Star erupting. I have a movie of the eruption, complete with audio, but I don't know how to load it. Sarah, help me out! Can I do it on blogger?





This next photo was taken during our final evening when we repeated the walk down to Morning Glory Pool. We originally planned a romantic dinner at the Snow Lodge, but decided to make use of the bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir I ferried to Yellowstone, bought some cheese and crackers and headed for our favorite thermal pool. On the way we spent some time at Grotto Geyser. Most of the time it just steams and spits, with occasional eruption of about 20 feet.


We passed a few other hot thermal features, some with the sunset reflected in the steaming water.


We ended up at Morning Glory still reflecting colors in the fading sunset.



We hung out in the dark and drank our wine, and it was there, that I made my pitch for settling down together. Well this guy who many, including me sometimes, thought he was "just not that into me," agreed it was time to do the deed. Hey, it only took about 10 years, but it appears we are going for it. Don't know exactly when (ironically, I have to investigate if and how it might impact my kids college aid), but we figure it will have to be at Yellowstone. Probably at Morning Glory Pool.

We thought about having some kind of ceremony at Lone Star Geyser, but honestly everyone who might venture to the country's first national park to celebrate with us would have to be doused with Cutter and not be bothered by clouds of mosquitos circling anything that exhales. We probably would have to give out canisters of bear spray as gifts. While that seems perfectly reasonable to me, I know that some of my family, who lean towards more suburban lifestyles might balk at a three mile walk/bike ride among mosquitos, deerflies and signs warning about bears, and might prefer instead the handicap accessible, 1 mile walk/ride on pavement to a more civilized thermal pool, like Morning Glory.

The morning we left, we wondered the back side of the basin and I caught this final image of a spitting pool with the fantastic Old Faithful Inn in the background.



That is where we stayed... in the old part of the Inn, I might add. Small old log room, with a few light bulbs, a sink, no phone and a communal bathroom/shower down the hall. The Inn is only open for two months this summer as it is undergoing a three year renovation. They have ripped up the floor and replaced it with temporary plywood. They have sunk the area around the fireplace about 4 inches. The lobby is broken up a bit more, the reception desk expanded and every single vertical support log has been removed, one by one, split so a metal rod can be inserted and put back together. The purpose is to increase the Inn's ability to weather a significant earthquake (one of which actually damaged three of the four hearths in the massive stone fireplace that is the centerpiece of the lobby). We actually arrived on opening day for this summer's abbreviated season (normally 5 months long). We are tempted to return for the last day and party with the regular staff (many who know A.) in the infamous Bear Pit Lounge. However, I don't think I have the constitution to survive such a night anymore. Don't want any memories of Yellowstone including paying homage to the porcelain goddess.

Okay, 30 minutes until tomorrow. Back to the script. There you have it. I didn't even mention the Supreme Court nomination. Such restraint.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

First of all, I'm not sure if the blogger interface allows video, however, if you want you can email it to me and I'll store it on my server and you can link to that.

Second, you don't actually say "marriage" but you say something about a ceremony at Yellowstone, so I know I haven't even known you for a year yet but I am TOTALLY going to use you for a trip to Yellowstone because I have never been. ;)

Someone on the cusp... said...

Yeah, we are talking marriage. The word just seems quaint and a little outdated at this point in my life.

Whatever happens is most likely to happen there. So keep it in mind.

Leann said...

Thank you for the update FINALLY:-)

Marriage huh...wow. How awesome. I love the pictures. They bring back fond memories. The think I remember most about that area was the color of the rocks in the rivers. Such vibrant colors.

I've not "known" you long, but a trip back to yellowstone would be nice. hint hint LOL

Gavin said...

Good news :) I'm happy for you both

Someone on the cusp... said...

Leann: You willing to come back all the way from Alaska? Worth it just to meet ya:)

Leann said...

For you....I'd travel all the way back :-) What a happy day for you! The union of two people who are obviously met to be together....wouldn't miss it!

cg said...

I wanna come, too! I'll trade you an invitation to ski at Tahoe for one to Yellowstone! Of course, you're invited, anyway. :) And congratulations.

cari