Wednesday, June 22, 2005

**Summertime.... and the blogging is slowing**

Odd feeling... having much going on, but not really motivated to update the blog. Probably because most of the stuff that matters is still unprocessed.

School have been done for about three weeks. I am only now feeling like it is over. I remember it taking this long over Christmas Break and as soon as I slowed down, the semester started again. Here I am acutely aware of the fact that in less than three weeks the summer will be half over. It just goes too fast. And I don't expect to get much in the way of sympathy for those in the private and public sector who are operating on 2-4 weeks annual vacation.

My summer is not my own, however. In order to come up with the $12-13K for my son's tuition next year I have resorted to summer work for pay. I am producing 2, maybe 3 videos.

I am beginning to do some general interest reading for law school. The school (actually a particular professor) compiled a list of 100 books/articles recommended for reading. I started light with Scott Turow's One L. Made me think about reading some of the hornbooks before I start. Also, made me want to watch the Paper Chase again, but no video store seems to have it.

Mostly, though this summer I have to prep for a retake of the LSATs. In order to secure a much needed Dean's scholarship (effectively making law school free for me as a commuter), I need to raise my score about 6 points. Seems doable, although the thought of studying for that test again is highly unappealing. It will take some serious discipline. But I won't do the retake until October and don't have to put a deposit down for my admission deferral until this Sept. I should know in early spring if I have the scholarship. I may, if the LSAT scores are good, apply more widely and fantasize leaving my job for 3 years at some prestigious law school. Right. More realistically, if the scholarship plans don't pan out, I will table law school for good.

More discussions under separate headings to come.

No comments: