Monday, April 28, 2008

**Across the Street**


Sometimes I wonder if I bought our house not for what is on our property but, rather, what is across the street. I feel personally responsible for its maintenance, so that downed limb will be cleaned up.



















One set of stones (not pictured here), upon careful reading, reveals that four children all died in a very short window back in the mid to late 1800s. Illness? accident? How does a parent recover from that? A lot of the stones - more likely concrete, are broken, or worn down so you can't see the information.

2 comments:

Leann said...

It's nice to see I'm not the only one facinated by cemetaries. There is one a block from the house. It's the 'pioneer' cemetary so I"m sure there are some interesting stories there. I've not made the journey, but will soon.

cg said...

I adore cemeteries! Morbid, I know, but I love walking around old (and war) cemeteries and speculating on the lives and deaths of the people there. They're so fascinating! I think I drove my two companions crazy while in Europe when we'd come upon another WWI or II cemetery and I'd insist on stopping and wandering around.