Sunday, February 05, 2006

**Filing down memory lane**

My daughter has left this morning for two weeks in the Galapagos. She was only in Quito for a week after 21 days in the eastern jungles of Ecuador. I noticed she hasn't updated her blog, but I am sure it will be worth waiting for.

Because she is gone, I am going to prepare a draft of her taxes for her. I put off taxes as long as I could, and have to do them to prepare the financial aid materials for my son. But in order to do them, I had to organize my files. Don't underestimate the time it took to clear the piles of paper off my desk. I spent the better part of two days as it inevitably leads to clearing out stuff already filed. I ended up with four grocery bags of shredded paper when all was through.

But (and this is the point of this entry), one of the joys of going through the files are the memories they trigger. Once such memory came from my daughter's old school materials. So I am posting the contents of a "letter of recommendation" her Colorado 5th grade teacher wrote for my daughter's application to an advanced academic program once we moved to Michigan.

Those of you who know her will appreciate this. By the way, this was and still is "E's" all time favorite teacher.

It was dated April 1, 1996:

Dear lady,

You will have "E" next year. Good luck!

She will never amount to anything unless you can find a way to control her. In her 2 years here I have very few positive things to say. She refuses to participate in class and is always distracted.

If this was the worst of I could say, I'd be happy, but she has several annoying habits that affect the entire classroom. She has a collection of animals that are constantly in the way. She demonstrates no interest in academic work and negatively influences those around her.

She does not form positive relationsips with adults or children. Her best friends are the chairs in the room who she talks to for hours. When she does interact with others, there is a strong likelihood of bloodshed.

On a positive note, "E" is often absent.

I hope all goes well. Please don't send her back.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Is that a joke? I can't believe in the world of modern lawsuits that a teacher would have the nerve to write a letter like that!

Someone on the cusp... said...

Check the date. It was an April Fools joke. They loved each other.

Leann said...

Whew....I was gonna say what a letter of recommendation!