Tuesday, February 14, 2006

**Deconstructing V-Day**

Actually, I don't know that I can deconstruct Valentines Day. Personally, it is perennial disappointment. Disappionting because of being bombarded by messages that it is a day of enduring gestures. Unless the day mimics the flower, diamond, chocolate ads, it somehow seems disappointing.

So it should come as no surprise that I was both surprised and disappointed. I received an unexpected electronic card and real flowers from a long time friend, who, when I think about it, often surprises me with things like this. And I received flowers from the person who according to the script, is the one who would typically be sending me flowers. But things are weird so (I know, I know, maybe he just not that into me) the flowers while kind and maybe a herculean effort given the weirdness, seem contrived, prefunctory... you get the idea. Damn valentines day engine of commerce... building unrealistic hopes and expectations....

Most of all, I mostly think of this holiday as the birthday of my glorious son. I called him shortly after midnight last night and wished him happy 19th. I was the first one to do it. Yes!

1 comment:

Leann said...

I understand exactly what you are saying Nancy. I'd rather get something out of the blue any old time of the year than something contrived on Valentines day.