Wednesday, October 26, 2005

**On the road again....**

I am off to Kansas City for three days.... I am attending an advisors conference. I don't quite know what will be there, but my job promotion review recommended I get involved in a relevant professional organization so I am resisting the urge to hole up and just publish (both books and blogs) and "get out there."

This conference was supposed to be in New Orleans which was one of the initial attractions to attending. I have never been to New Orleans. But for reasons we all know, I won't be going there for this conference.

I have been to Kansas City before... over ten years ago. For a different conference. My biggest memories included excellent barbeque at a dive I know I never will find again, and some guy I hung out with who gave me a copy of the Barenaked Ladies' first CD. I also remember leaving to drive back to Denver in the ole Volvo. Those who travelled to KC with me did not want to leave for the return trip until 7 pm the final evening. After they got in the car, exhausted, they informed me that none knew how to drive a clutch. So I drove the overnight, 10 hour trip home, slapping myself in the face to stay awake. The Perseid meteor showers helped keep me awake, and fortunately the prairie is so damn flat it really would not have mattered if I drove off the road.

That's it. That is all I remember. The conference presentations must have been pretty memorable, eh?

No comments: