Thursday, August 11, 2005

**"Empty Nest" Coming to a theatre near you soon**

This Sunday evening at the same time my sister and her family board Jet Blue for the red eye back east, I put my oldest on the red-eye for Miami. After arriving, she boards another plane for Ecuador. It will be 8 months before I see her bright eyes, unless I manage a trip to visit. I am used to her not living at home, but not used to what is likely to be intermittent communication at best.

Then the following Wednesday, I hop a plane with my son and take him to college. So even with his spring semester test run in Italy, I am struggling with the "real" empty nest that I face this fall. It has been so busy this summer I have hardly noticed that my kids were gone most of the summer with their respective jobs. Maybe that busy feeling will continue and I won't miss their absence at the molecular level like I fear. Again I ask, where are the other parents going through this?

3 comments:

Becca said...

Chistmas in Ecuador! Christmas in Ecuador! That's where all the cool kids will be...

Becca said...

I don't really think my mom is the model of most empty nesters...

Leann said...

You already know my struggle the the "empty nest" syndrome. You read all about it on my blog..lol

I feel as if going to Alaska is like leaving my child behind in Equador. Probably more miles, but you know what I"m talking about :-)