Friday, September 12, 2008

**Great Ocean Road**

We spent much of the second day in southeast Australia traveling the Great Ocean Road. What is not pictured here was the paralyzed look of inexplicable fear when I was departing the farm of our delightful hosts and started driving down the road. I was still in the mode where every move with the car is second-guessed because 32 years of driving means nothing when everything gets switched.

Before even my first exhale, I see a car coming straight at me on the road. My first thought is "crap, I am on the wrong side of the road." But I was on the wrong side of the road, which is the CORRECT side of the road. Turns out it was our host, completely messing with me. He will not like the payback next time he comes to the States.

Nevertheless, I was grateful for the gentle reminders offered up by a helpful Australian government.

















The Great Ocean Road is much like the roads along the U.S. west coast. We spent some time looking at famous surfing beaches and checking out local national forests. We quickly learned that we would be eating our first of many PBJ sandwiches because any restaurant food was going to cost a more than I could regularly spend over three weeks. Fish and chip lunch for 4? $50.

Of course, we became quicly obsessed with the graphical signs around Australia. Here is the first of several pictures we took during our visit. No sugarcoating anything here:




















Homes are pricey along the road as it, apparently, is still commuting distance to Melbourne. This was one of the more interesting houses. It actually is a rental:














Picnic site in Otway National Park:

















These trees were really impressive. Heights similar to Douglas Firs in Oregon:





















Silver Creek Falls State Park flashback....











This little guy was nestled in the trees along the dirt road to Otway NP. I just caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye. When we drove back several hours later, he was still there and in the same position.




















We wandered into on little town because we heard you might see kangaroos on the golf course. There were many and people just played golf around them. Those little round dark spots scattered densely on the golf course. Not rocks. Not tree nuts. You guess.















On the way back we watch the sunset light up the waters over Bells Beach - another famous surfing beach.






































































And, apparently, like one might expect an abundance of deer at sunset, we were treated to this silouhette on the way home.



1 comment:

Leann said...

Love the pics !! Oh my gosh how lovely. I certainly would not be golfing on a course that had that much kangaroo dung on it...ewww..kinda like those parks in Oregon where you can't walk because of the duck doo. That one in Bend comes to mind.

I'm not sure I'd ever get used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. I'll bet Australians are used to it tho..lol

Keep sending those pics so we can live vicariously through you!

Ohh...and have fun :-)

Double ohhh....I wonder if you could convince one of those fuzzy creatures to pose as a handbag on your way back to the states?