Sunday, May 06, 2007

**Whoa**

So I posted Thursday in a panic about this Friday's phone interview for a job I almost didn't apply for.

I recceived what I must admit was sage advice as I started comtemplating all the insane fall-out from accepting such a position. I. This advice? Don't speculate on all the possibilities and implications of taking this job, don't feel immediately overwhelmed at the albeit remote possibility that you would actually pack everything you own and move 4,000 miles. No, this wise person said, just focus on one step at a time. First, just focus on the phone interview.

So I did. I didn't think about anything else. A friend helped prep me with by asking questions I would likely be asked and then critiqued my answers. I studied the institution. I learned all I could about the members of the committee who would be interviewing me. I had everything laid out on a table because my interview was at 6:30 AM. I woke up an hour early, ate breakfast, drank coffee and I was r-e-a-d-y. Thought about nothing else.

And the interview seemed to go fine. I don't think I made any major mistakes. Asked a few questions, but not all that I had. Then I cleaned up the house in anticipation of weekend company and did what any sane person would do on May 4th: hit the first day of the REI spring sale. Actually I had a longstanding trip to Costco with my neighbor. It just so happens that there is a Costco near an REI. How convenient. I bought a belt, trail runnings shoes and a shirt. Still have not used all of my dividend. But while thinking that when it comes down to it, all one really needs in the world is at REI, my cell rings. Not a local area code. I pick up. It was the search committee's administrative assistant. I have been invited for an on site interview.

I am going to go.... but pushed the interview off two weeks. I better not like this place, because I have no idea how I can close up obligations here, sell a house and move on such short notice. Damn you job openings.

1 comment:

Leann said...

Keep it in the "one step at a time" catagory.

Helpful aren't I?? hehehehe