Sunday, January 22, 2006

**Ecuador**

Well, I could go on and on about the trip to Ecuador, but most of you who read this blog have heard about it from those who travelled there. Here is a link to the trip pixs. So if images are your thing, have at it.

I will say this, Ecuador is an amazing country. Chaotic as hell, but things seem to work nonetheless. We traveled by bus and truck - no high faluting car rentals for us. I remain thoroughly impressed by the hardiness and flexibility of my young nieces and nephews.

I still am deeply affeccted by the indigenous community we stayed with. It brought back many of the feelings I had while living in Kenya.

I think most of all I was struck by the confidence, integrity and sensitivity with which my daughter moved through that country. She is fearless in new places. She embraces difference and revels in the cultural differences she encounters. My favorite moment: After several of us went through 30+ minute cleansing ceremonies with a shaman in our indigenous community, my daughter sat down for her cleansing. After about 30 seconds, the shaman stopped and indicated that she was done. Apparently, there was no bad energy to extract and no need to infuse her spirit with good energy. In a way I am not surprised, but I WILL find a way to poke fun at her for this.

3 comments:

Leann said...

I was waiting to hear about your trip. I will now go and look at photos.

I think it's wonderful that your daughter did not have any bad energy. Pure. That's wonderful!

Leann said...

Are you Nancy? :-)

It looks like you had a wonderful trip. The colors are extrodinary and since the camera presents them so well, I imagine they were even more awesome in real life.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Becca said...

Well, some of the family are decidedly less spirtual than others. My cynical explanations:

1. The shaman was on his third cleansing of the evening, and was bored out of his mind with all the wooshing, swooshing, spitting, and cigarrette smoking and decided to cut Emily's short.

2. He somehow "knew" (i.e. someone told him or he's psychic, as a scientist, I expect the former) that Emily had been cleansed only a month before...