Tuesday, January 24, 2006

**Building Nine**

One of the favorite parts of my Ecuador trip was not in Ecuador at all, but the layover in Houston visiting my niece. This visit included a "special" tour of NASA. And part of the tour included access to the inside of "Building Nine." Building Nine holds full-size mock-ups of the Space Shuttle and the International Space station among other things.

I recently picked up several DVDs on sail, one of which is "Space Cowboys." When the Daedalus team started training on the shuttle in this movie, using a mock up of the Space Shuttle, you could hear throughout my house the words, "Hey, that's Building Nine!" Clint Eastwood Tommy Lee Jones, James Garner and Donald Sutherland went right up the stairs in this picture. The movie also included shots of the four cowboys in a tiny little room (where we also stood) where Shuttle astronauts guide the cargo hold's robotic arm.

There also were shots in the movie of the water training area. We were not allowed to see that. Something to do with the past activities of drunken coops or interns or something.

Or maybe it was drunken politicians....

Overall, very cool having a family at NASA.

3 comments:

Leann said...

I own that movie!! I'll have to pay attention the next time I watch it.

Glad you had fun with your neice.

Becca said...

Oh man, we should've gone to the Outpost too! Its a bar right down the street from my house in an old red shack, and all the scenes with the old guys hanging out in a bar in Space Cowboys were filmed there. Its pretty much a space program institution.

cg said...

Sarah and I played with the arm just before going to see that movie! So when that scene came up, we were especially excited.