Saturday, October 13, 2007

**A househunting we go**

We are heading out for a week of house hunting. Given the current market, I am not optimistic we will find something we like enough to make the plunge quickly. I suspect we are more likely to find a rental and maybe look for some land.

One of the highlights of the trip will be the chance to see #1 son and my family for a day. Another plus will be where we are staying. Taking advantage of special rates available to my future employer I am able to stay at a pretty nice resort for $99 a night. Just two days ago the Dali Lama was staying at this place while doing a series of public talks. New faciltiies for his North American base are being constructed across the street I understand.

I am looking at a wide range of housing options from a fixer-upper in town, to a higher end, expensive home in the established and desirable (read: reseale) neighborhoods surrounding Cornell University, to a farm 20 miles out of town, to a log cabin. And then there is building, which sounds most intriguing to me. I have abandoned the idea of a loft in the heart of downtown as it just seems too noisy. There are some alternative housing options - cooperative communities - but I don't think I have time or even want to invest the energy into the personal time commitment of living cooperatively. Plus S. -a loner at heart - has NO desire to be part of a community living situation with shared meals and such. That part of hippiedom didn't stick I guess.

1 comment:

Leann said...

Good luck in your househunting. HOpe you find exactly what you are looking for!